November 22, 2006

Turkey Time

The day of giving thanks is almost upon us. Tomorrow I will be heading to my parent's house to celebrate Thanksgiving with the rest of my family. And what a family it is! Currently my brother has moved back home thus taking up the ONLY extra bed in the house relegating me to a lovely air mattress in the computer room. The computer room has kind of turned into the grandchildrens play area, which in turn has turned into crumb central. I swear, whatever food they are eating, seventy percent of it falls onto the floor. You don't dare walk barefoot in this room (this phenomenon seems to be spreading to the living room) for fear of ending up with a Lays potato chip lodged in your foot! The salt? My God the pain!
My Mom's side of the family joins us for this holiday. The tradition is for everyone to bring some type of side dish while the aunts make the big ticket items; ham, turkey, homemade noodles, etc., we then pile the food high upon our Chinaware heavy duty plates, roam off to the living room or wherever there is space to sit, and become large roly-poly like creatures that go for seconds, thirds, and even sometimes fourth-sies.
After the eats, its game time! Not football mind you. Some stay inside for that, but we LOVE badminton in my family. Okay, I love badminton and thus force the kids to play with me. If no badminton can be played, darn you Kansas winds!, then we play tons of hide and seek, and croquet. Now just imagine these games being played with 3, 5, 7, 11, and 13 year old kids and that is exactly what it is like. Pure chaos. Very enjoyable indeed.

No comments: