March 27, 2007

Galveston Redux

Got back with only a few gray hairs to report. The trip went better than expected (I expected some sort of apocalyptic event to happen) so that means the trip is given 3 1/2 stars. 4 stars would be if a Gilmore Girls/X-Files convention would be going on down there. That would have been sweet.
The trip seemed to have evolved into just a major shopping trip. No NASA, no submarine, no Moody Gardens. Just a lot of shopping...mostly at stores we have in Kansas! We did make it to the beach and the zoo. The beach was rather harrowing with the wind whipping pretty strongly and the surf was very high. We had a cookout there where we fixed hotdogs and smores and boy, I must tell you, you have never had hot dogs and smores until you have them sprinkled with sand! Yes, the wind was so strong that sand blew into all of our food and you really didn't know it until you started eating your hot dog and found it to be quite crunchy!
I got bit by some very aggressive fire ants, I got my foot caught in a baby stroller and fell, and had to sleep in the same hide-a-bad as my little five year old niece who seems to suffer from some very wild dreams. I got hit in the face a few times at night while she flailed her little arms about. Shoving her to the far side of the bed seemed like the best tactic but the little bugger always found her way back to the middle where I would endure more face slapping for the next two nights.
The trip went fast and overall went very well. New York City is in two weeks so I better stay in travel mode. That means I won't unpack from this trip. No I'm not lazy...just prepared!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to have to share a bed with my sister, and she always did that flailing/kicking/shoving thing. I feel your pain.