January 11, 2007

Mean Streets

Cities. They chew you up and spit you out. Or in my case they wreck your car and empty your wallet.
Two days ago I unintentionally ran over the biggest curb I could find. It was kind of one of those curbs with the drainage grates under it making it ten times higher than it normally should be, the Pikes Peak of curbs if you will. After getting out of the way of oncoming traffic, I pulled over and took a look. Hmmm...cracked hubcap. Not so bad. Then later on at work it was noticed that there was something wrong with the hubcap, it seemed pushed in too much. Again, no problem. But that night as I was driving home I noticed that my steering wheel was pointed to the left as I was driving straight!! Noooooo! So I took it into the Midas place the next morning to get the hubcap adjusted and they got it all fixed up for free but now I have an appointment Friday to get the car aligned. Yeah, empty wallet. It's not like I'm trying to save up money here for the pending NYC trip, nooooo, I have tons of money to spend on stupid car problems. I guess I'm lucky that I didn't ruin the tire, have to buy one, and then get the car aligned, so there was good news in that.
I wonder how the public transportation is in this city. It can't be too bad. Oh wait, I have a bike! I am a master bike rider. I will ride my bike everywhere I go and then I won't have to worry about stupid car problems. Problem solved. Now I just have to get air in the bike tires. I need an air pump. I need to go to the store for the air pump. I need my bike to go to the store.
Hmmm...this doesn't bode well, does it?

No comments: