November 15, 2006

Now That's a Spicey Meatball!

Last night I was invited to an "authentic" Italian dinner. Now most of
my friends think this was some kind of pity invite but I know I was
wanted there for my fine conversation skills and wonderful table
manners. No elbows on the table for me!
One of the guests included a nice older gentlemen who immigrated
to the US after WWII. A co-worker of mine is hoping to obtain an oral
history from him about his journey over here and his experiences right
after settling in the States.
While visiting with him at the dinner, he showed
me a nice little pill box he stores his medication in. On the pill box
was a picture of a flower and as I looked at it he asked if I knew what
flower that was. I am probably the most ignorant female on earth when it comes
to flowers so I didn't try to even guess so I just said that I
had no idea. He then said, "Edelweiss". And I did a mental head slap after that! Of course "Edelweiss". Hadn't I seen Sound of Music a bazillion times!?
But the really interesting part was when he started singing "Edelweiss" to me...in Russian. At this point I didn't' know what to do. Smile, sway, I had no idea! So I did both. He seemed to enjoy it!

No comments: