February 15, 2007

Hamster Rescue

I am in a bit of a quandary. Last night at the nature center Dennis (head of the Nature Center) told me that we had two more hamsters that needed homes. The last hamster and her babies went to a better place (please don't ask where!!!) and so this was my opportunity to save these two hamsters before they, um go to "a better place". They are just about the cutest things I've seen, besides our prairie dogs Hans and Frans, in such a long time! One is peach with white spots and then the other is just solid peach. I even have names for them picked out. But I digress. My quandary is: should I rescue these hamsters? The last time I had hamsters it all ended up quite badly. I got two dwarf hamsters and they ended up being kind of smelly, and one of them turned into a baby makin' machine. Baby hamsters are not so cute. In fact they are downright icky.
Another problem is that I am gone quite a bit. Who will take care of Mulder and Scully (those are their new names). Mary Lou? Bob? Craig? Hmm...Craig likes the animals....
But here are the good things about getting these two hamsters. I get a free aquarium to keep them in, I'm saving them from a fate worse than death but death being their final fate! And it gives me some cute little furballs to take care of that don't require much time, attention, or expense.
So if you have any thoughts, opinions, or most likely concerns, on me actually trying to take care of a living thing besides myself....keep it to yourself...I'm sure Mully and Sculder will be just fine.....

No comments: